I stopped keeping this site up-to-date many years ago, so if you've ended up here I'm afraid there's nothing much of interest to see any more.

Other Halesowen Town websites:

21st Century Stuff

I made a Yeltzland app for iPhone/iPad and Android, which lets you read all about the Yeltz in one place.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play

You can also add the Yeltz fixture list into your calendar - instructions can be found here.

News Stories 1997-2006 ...

Follow Your Instinct

Even older than the original Yeltzland website, we wrote a HTFC fanzine between 1991 and 1994.

I've started scanning in the originals, and you can download the PDFs from the FYI home page.

Review of the 1995-96 season

Re-live one of the greatest seasons of the mighty Yeltz's long history in DJ's comprehensive review

Why are we called The Yeltz?

No one knows for sure, but here's an summary from the excellent Yeltzmen book that's the best explanation we have!




WSC Yeltz 2 Worcester 1

A giant victory in a small competition. Or is it the other way around? We all know it's only the Worcester Senior, but it's our first victory this year so let's not dismiss it too lightly. Goals from new bloke Fraser McHugh and Kirk takes us through to the last four but as Chas pointed out to me Moor Green are still in it so we've got no chance :-)

No game on Saturday, so we'll have to wait until next week when Havant come to The Grove to see if we can build on this victory. Let's hope for some helpful results in the other games.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Newall, Charlton, N. Smith, L. Collins, R. Collins, Spencer (Ashby 56), Master (May 66), Leadbeater, McHugh, Hines (Trainer HT). Unused Subs: Skidmore, Stone

Worcester City: Wyatt; Holloway, Carty, Jones, Shail (Heeley 62), Burrow, D. Smith, Counsell, Hadley (Middleton HT), Willetts, Tomkins (Holmes HT). Unused Subs: McDonald, Hayes

Referee: J. Holbrook (Kidderminster) Attendance: 178 Booked: None Sponsors' Man of the Match: Lee Collins

Halesowen ended their dismal run of defeats to notch a vital first win of 2003 in a low-key affair against old rivals Worcester City.

With both sides showing a number of changes, Worcester's Stewart Hadley was only inches away from meeting a dangerous 6th minute cross by Dean Smith. Halesowen's Richard Leadbeater then went close three minutes later when he rounded Paul Wyatt but the goalkeeper recovered to make a fine save.

Fluent football was difficult on the sticky playing surface but the Yeltz took a 13th minute lead when Fraser McHUGH took a direct free-kick near the left touch-line and the ball drifted across goal to evade a surprised Wyatt. Andy Spencer then side-stepped his marker in the 24th minute to drive at Wyatt from the edge of the box. Worcester equalised a minute before the break with Stewart HADLEY slotting past Tim Clarke after being put through on goal by Dean Smith.

Darren Middleton chipped weakly at Clarke in the 49th minute after the home goalkeeper made a poor clearance before Kirk MASTER grabbed Halesowen's winning goal on 50 minutes by beating Wyatt with a low drive from the left following a flick-on by Leadbeater. Leadbeater then danced through the Worcester defence in the 69th minute but substitute Leroy May shot just wide. Six minutes from time a David Holmes effort was cleared off the goal-line by Neil Smith to ensure Halesowen's passage into the semi-final.




Tamworth 3 Yeltz 1

I think before the game we'd have expected a result like this, but to give us a little bit of hope by leading at half-time through Jason Ashby was a bit cruel. Unfortunately it was predictable they'd come back to win 3-1, and they are looking very good now to get promoted to the Conference.

With both Weymouth and Hinckley getting a point, the table makes even grimmer reading than usual. Read DJ's match report for full details on the game.

Next game is in the Worcester Senior Cup on Tuesday when we entertain Worcester at home. We've done well against them so far this season, so let's hope for a confidence-boosting result. We need one.

Match Report from DJ

Tamworth: Davies; Warner, Follett, Robinson, Turner, Cooper, Evans, Atkinson, Hallam (Jephcott 67), D. Collins, McGorry. Unused Subs: Acton, Marsh, Haynes, Hanney

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Charlton, Skidmore, L. Collins, Stone, Spencer (Master 78), Ashby, May, McHugh, Hines. Unused Subs: Leadbeater, Medou-Otye, Newall, Adamson

Referee: P. Martin (Northampton) Attendance: 1150 Booked: May (23),Skidmore (65), McGorry (65)

Table topping Tamworth sent Halesowen crashing to their fourth straight defeat of 2003 despite being shocked by Ashby giving the Yeltz a half-time lead.

Tamworth started brightly and debut defender Asa Charlton had to make a 2nd minute clearance from a free-kick floated in by Brian McGorry. Steve Evans then found a gap in the Yeltz defence and seemed certain to score but Charlton blocked again with Graeme Atkinson's resulting corner charged down in the 7th minute. A minute later a right wing cross from Evans was met with a clever flick by Atkinson to win yet another corner.

For Halesowen, Tim Clarke grabbed another corner in the 12th minute and sent a long ball up the field for Jason Ashby to lob over the Tamworth bar. Andy Spencer then blasted a good opportunity well wide from 20 yards out. With the home pressure continuing, a 17th minute free-kick from captain Mark Cooper was deflected wide with the corner again scrambled clear.

However it was Halesowen who silenced the Lambs by taking a 29th minute lead. Lee Collins earned Halesowen's first corner from a Charlton free-kick and with the ball only partly cleared, Charlton set up Les Hines to cross for ASHBY's header to creep past on-loan Birmingham City goalkeeper Clint Davies.

Just before half-time an Atkinson free-kick from the right was cleared by the busy Halesowen defence and Darren Collins headed just wide from Robert Warner's cross.

Spencer scuffed a 46th shot well wide from 25 yards before rampant Tamworth showed their title credentials by taking control with two goals in three minutes. After 52 minutes Mark Hallam headed on a right-wing cross leaving Darren COLLINS the simple task of rolling the ball into the net from two yards out. Three minutes later a right-wing cross caused an almighty goal-mouth scramble and although Gavin Stone looked to have cleared, the ball broke free for HALLAM to touch home from close range.

The stunned visitors never looked likely to recover although Davies saved at the feet of Leroy May on the hour from a Hines cross. Tamworth kept up the late pressure with Hallam driving just wide after bursting through the heart of the Halesowen defence before being substituted in the 67th minute. Demoralised Halesowen fell further behind after 76 minutes when Darren COLLINS latched onto a left-wing cross from Atkinson.

Ten minutes from time Ashby broke away but Hines lashed his shot from the left well over the bar from 20 yards and on full-time substitute Kirk Master cut in from the right but his shot drifted across the Tamworth goal.




BSC Yeltz 1 Birmingham City 3

2 days later and it doesn't get any cheerier. We're now out of the B'ham Senior Cup, losing 3-1 at The Grove to Blues. We equalised through Phil Trainer after half-time, but lost to two late goals to a team that surprisingly enough had few stars on show.

Saturday takes us to Tamworth in what is potentially the hardest game of the season. Still, we have absolutely nothing to lose, so let's go all out to cause what would be a major upset. Stranger things have happened. Maybe.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Hines, Skidmore, Newall, Stone, Spencer (L. Collins HT), Ashby (Master 65), Leadbeater (R. Collins 56), Brennan, Trainer. Unused Subs: Smith, Garvey

Birmingham City: Flinders; Luntala (Beauchamp 56), Gilbert, Alsop, Hipkiss, Sadler, Carter (Cottrill 74), Grondin (Curtis 71), Barrowman, Allen, Capaldi. Unused Sub: Courtney.

Referee: A. Penn (Wall Heath) Attendance: 402 Booked: None Sponsors' Man of the Match: Gavin Stone

The difficult start to 2003 continued with Halesowen bowing out of the Birmingham Senior Cup in their third successive defeat of the New Year.

Andrew BARROWMAN gave the Blues' youngsters a 12th minute lead by firmly heading home a cross from Danny Carter who broke down the left-wing. Tim Clarke then made a fine one-handed stop from Carter on 22 minutes after initially seeming to dive the wrong way. Tony Capaldi did beat Clarke in the 39th minute with Carter rolling the ball into the empty net but the effort was disallowed for offside.

After the break, Phil Trainer produced Halesowen's first real shot on target but his 25-yard strike was collected at the second attempt by goalkeeper Scott Flinders. Richard Colwell then struck the side-netting from a 56th minute long ball from Les Hines. The Yeltz equalised in the 66th minute when TRAINER's cross from the left deceived Flinders to drift into the top corner of the net. With Halesowen briefly on top, John Newall touched a Karl Brennan corner onto the underside of the crossbar, with the rebound being fired high.

The Premiership side wrapped up the tie with two late goals. Tony CAPALDI clinically finished off a 79th minute cross from substitute James Beauchamp from 12 yards out. The third goal arrived a minute from time with Barrowman put through on the break and he drew out Clarke before crossing for substitute Dean CURTIS to tap home.




Yeltz 0 Moor Green 1

We are in big trouble now. A very disappointing loss to local rivals and sort of bogey team Moor Green means we're now 4 points from safety and struggling once again. More details in the match reports .

With our next league game against top of the table Tamworth it's difficult to see us getting anything there, but first we've got Birmingham at The Grove on Monday night in the Birmingham Senior Cup.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Hines, Skidmore, L. Collins, Stone, Spencer, Ashby, Leadbeater (May 63), Master, R. Collins (Brennan 63). Unused Subs: Newall, Charlton, Trainer

Moor Green: Rachel; Hughes, Evans, Robinson, Sanders, Scheppel (Woodley 80), Stanley, Peer, Elmes, Martin, Petty (Myers 81). Unused Subs: Faulds, Blake, Walker.

Referee: M. Lever (Leicester) Attendance: 598 Booked: L. Collins (12), Stone (83) Sponsors' Man of the Match : Les Hines

Halesowen increased their relegation worries by falling to their third defeat of the season at the hands of near-neighbour bogey-side Moor Green.

A generally poor game saw little goal-mouth incident and the Yeltz have now failed to score in 8 of their 12 home league games.

Kirk Master surged forward in the first minute and played the ball out left for Jason Ashby to cross but the Moors defence cleared as Stuart Skidmore advanced on goal. Andy Spencer then made a persistent run at the visiting defence four minutes later.

Richard Evans, on-loan from Birmingham City, saw his 25-yard shot drift just over the Halesowen bar in the 7th minute and on 17 minutes Gavin Stone needlessly headed behind goal to give Moor Green a corner.

With the game desperately needing a goal, Richard Colwell turned in his own half and sent a long cross forward in the 26th minute that was headed on by Richard Leadbeater. A minute later Skidmore drove well wide on the sanded surface from 25-yards out. In the 33rd minute Les Hines swung over a left wing cross and goalkeeper Adam Rachel did well to punch a high ball clear after Ross Collins connected. At the other end, Jai Stanley hit weakly at Tim Clarke from 20-yards in the 38th minute. Good work from Ashby then led to Master winning a 50th minute corner and the ball fell for Andy Spencer to lash over the bar from the edge of the area.

The Moors enjoyed a good spell at the start of the second period and were unlucky in the 53rd minute when former-Yeltz striker Rob Elmes hit a 20-yard drive that cannoned off the underside of the bar with Ross Collins tidying up. Three minutes later the visitors snatched the winning goal when Stanley played an incisive pass for Jae MARTIN to swivel and shrug off two defenders before planting the ball into the bottom of the net beyond Clarke from 15 yards.

Master's tame strike was easily collected by Rachel in the 70th minute before Halesowen's best chance arrived two minutes later when a Hines cross fell invitingly for Spencer in a crowded area but he placed his shot against the legs of goalkeeper Rachel. A 74th minute Colwell shot was then blocked by Elmes and deflected for a corner.

Moor Green were awarded an 83rd minute penalty when Gavin Stone brought down Martin as he burst forward into the box but Clarke made an excellent diving save to his left to keep out Stanley's spot-kick.

Halesowen were unable to find an equaliser and two minutes from full-time substitute Karl Brennan met a Hines cross but hit high over the bar.




Yeltz 6 Swindon Supermarine 0

The mighty yeltz kicked off the second half of their league campaign with an emphatic 6-0 victory over Swindon Supermarine. With both Redditch and Rugby losing, we've made up some important ground at the top of the table .

Jason started things off with two first half goals - his first for eight games - before second half goals from Spencer, Steane, Frazer McHugh (back whilst looking for another club) and Baker turned it into something of a rout.

Next Saturday Evesham are the visitors to The Grove. They're on a pretty decent run at the moment including beating Redditch, but it's important we continue our run of victories.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Sheils; Colwell, Charlton (Small 66), Grocutt (Smith 64), Jones, Baker (Skidmore 70), Hollis, Ashby, Spencer, McHugh, Steane. Unused Subs: Lowry, Vaughan

Swindon Supermarine: King; Toomey, Futcher, Bennett, McCluskey (Grainge 62), Copp, Edwards, Terry, Carter (Gee 76), Miller, Matthews (Blastland 62). Unused Subs: Slattery, Gill

Referee: P. Martin (Wellingborough) Attendance: 436 Booked: Carter (71) Sponsors' Man of the Match: Simon Hollis

Halesowen smashed Swindon for six of the best with ex-Bradford City midfielder Fraser McHugh running the show from midfield in a devastating display of quality finishing.

In a lively opening Jason Ashby picked up a poor clearance from Swindon goalkeeper Tom King in the 4th minute but turned to fire just wide. Justin Miller headed across the Halesowen goal in the 10th minute but it was McHugh who set up Andy Spencer to strike a ten yard shot off the Swindon crossbar in the 10th minute. Home goalkeeper Mark Sheils then made a good save from Justin Miller and Jimmy Carter in the 25th minute after the Swindon forwards picked up a loose ball.

League-leading marksman Ashby then set Halesowen on their way with two goals within ninety seconds. On 28 minutes ASHBY latched onto a poor defensive header to beat King with a cheeky chip from 18-yards. McHugh then played a splendid ball through to Ben Steane and he crossed for ASHBY to head home a second goal from five yards in the 30th minute. Five minutes before half-time Sheils protected Halesowen's lead by gathering a 25-yard free-kick from Simon Futcher.

STEANE added a third goal to remember for the Yeltz in the 51st minute when he won the ball in midfield and unleashed a magnificent powerful, dipping shot into the top corner of the net from 35-yards to the gasping delight of the home crowd. With the home side running riot, the unmarked McHUGH made it 4-0 a minute later by cracking home into the bottom corner from 10-yards. The rampant Yeltz made it three goals in three minutes in a superb 54th minute break with Simon Hollis playing the ball out to Ashby and SPENCER raced into the area to convert the cross from close range.

In continuing waves of attacks, King blocked a Spencer shot in the 55th minute and Lewis Baker headed Asa Charlton's corner onto the roof of the net four minutes later. BAKER increased the misery of ex-Chippenham manager Tommy Saunders in his first game in charge of Swindon by rifling home a sixth home goal in the 63rd minute when unmarked in the penalty area.

Spencer's shot was turned around the post in the 65th minute but the game finally calmed down after a series of late substitutions. King gathered a 20-yard drive from Hollis in the 74th minute and in the final minute Sheils tipped a cross-shot from Futcher over the bar. Seconds later Ashby almost added a seventh goal but headed Steane's cross wide in front of goal, although enough had already been done to erase the painful memory of the four-goal defeat at Swindon earlier in the season.




FAT Alfreton 2 Yeltz 1

The mighty Yeltz crashed out of the FA Trophy 2-1 to Unibond Division One team Alfreton Town .

They'd worked wonders to get the game on, but the pitch was heavy and uneven and it was quite foggy too. We maybe had the better of a poor first-half without threatening them at all, but as the game went on they had more and more pressure before they took the lead after the break.

It was hard to see how we'd get back into it but a mistake from their keeper led to Rosco scrambling it home and it was all to play for. We hit the post just after, but then we seemed to sit back and eventually their pressure told with a late winner.

Despite their impressive form they weren't particularly good, but they were obviously more confident than us and they deserved their victory.

On Saturday Moor Green come to The Grove in a league game that we really need three points from. Come on!

Match Report from DJ

Alfreton Town: Turner; Bradshaw, Jules, Hobson, Heath, Knapper, France, Johnson, Circuit, Robshaw (Dolby 70), Bettney. Unused Subs: Brookes, Hindley, Highfield, Ford

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Hines, Newall, L. Collins, Stone, Smith (Brennan 68), Ashby, Leadbeater, Spencer (Shanahan 80), R. Collins. Unused Subs: Master, Trainer, Adamson

Referee: M. Haywood (Wakefield) Attendance: 681 Booked: None

The promising Trophy run ended in disappointing fashion with the Yeltz being outplayed in the North Derbyshire mud. The game only went ahead with intensive morning pitch work - including the use of industrial heaters - but it was the Yeltz who blew hot and cold during a game in which they conceded too much play in midfield.

Halesowen were first to show with Richard Colwell clipping a shot straight at goalkeeper Ross Turner after a poor 1st minute clearance by Lee Hobson. Ross Collins then blasted wide from Andy Spencer's 5th minute cross.

However, the runaway leaders of the Unibond Division One had already clocked up an unbeaten sequence of 23 games and clearly fancied their chances against their higher league opposition as they took charge of the game. Jamie Robshaw worked down the right to earn a 17th minute corner taken by Chris Bettney with ex-Sheffield United star Carl Bradshaw seeing his shot cleared off the line. Alfreton's fourth corner in the 21st minute was lost by Tim Clarke in a crowded goal-mouth, but Hobson smashed the loose ball way over the bar and into the adjacent gardens. Ryan France then struck the base of the post in the 33rd minute and when the ball was crossed back into the area Bradshaw nodded inches wide. Three minutes before half-time Halesowen ventured up-field with Jason Ashby's cross from the left deflected for a corner, but Ross Collins saw his shot blocked by a packed defence.

The travelling faithful had the luxurious choice of 600 seats behind the goal for the second half - but as no-one had thought to build a stand first, the seating was open to the elements.

The Yeltz continued on the defensive in the second period and had a 53rd minute let-off when Clarke was beaten to the ball by Robshaw but the striker's shot took an eternity to roll agonisingly wide of the post against the slope. The home side then forced a series of corners with Halesowen struggling to clear and took the lead in the 58th minute with HOBSON heading a cross from Bettney past the diving Clarke from 10 yards. Spurred on by the goal, the home side poured forward with Steve Johnson touching just wide on the hour.

A 66th minute shot from Ross Collins flashed across the Alfreton goal before Halesowen equalised three minutes later against the run of play. A free-kick from Les Hines was headed on by Gavin Stone and when Turner failed to gather the ball the last defender cleared off the line but the ball struck ROSS COLLINS before hitting the back of the net. With Halesowen on the up at last, Andy Spencer struck the post in the 79th minute.

However, Halesowen were denied a replay two minutes from time when JOHNSON had all the time in the world to turn and smash beyond Clarke from 10 yards after Hobson headed on a Steve Circuit cross.




BSC Yeltz P Birmingham City P

I'm feeling very deprived at the moment, with our third game on the trot being called off because of the bad weather. Very frustrating for everyone.

On Saturday - weather permitting of course - we've got a very interesting FA Trophy 3rd Round tie away to Unibond Division One side Alfreton Town next Saturday.

They're well clear at the top of their league, have scored loads of goals and beat Stafford Rangers in the last round so it's going to be a difficult tie. However, another form line shows they only beat Spennymoor 2-1 and are in a weaker league than ourselves, so it should be a very good game.

Let's hope our excellent Cup form continues - and the weather clears up a bit.




Dover P Yeltz P

Unsurprisingly following the recent awful weather, today's game at Dover was called off due to a waterlogged pitch. A lovely midweek trip awaits later in the year. Unfortunately, with Cambridge winning we've now slipped into the bottom four :-(

This week we've got a Birmingham Senior Cup tie against Birmingham City at The Grove on Tuesday, before a very interesting FA Trophy 3rd Round tie away to Unibond Division One side Alfreton Town next Saturday.

They're well clear at the top of their league, have scored loads of goals and beat Stafford Rangers in the last round so it's going to be a difficult tie. However, another form line shows they only beat Spennymoor 2-1 and are in a weaker league than ourselves, so it should be a very good game.

Let's hope our excellent Cup form continues - and the weather clears up a bit.



News Story

Yeltz P Newport P

After some very wet weather, it wasn't much surprise when the game against Newport was called off because of a waterlogged pitch. This hasn't affected our position in the table at all as only one game managed to escape the bad weather.

Saturday takes us - weather permitting - all the way to Dover in what could be a difficult game, although we gave them a good match at The Grove earlier in the season. Regarding my previous note saying that Margate play at Dover this season, it turns out they were back at "home" last week. Anyhoo, let's hope the pitch will be OK and the game will be on.




Yeltz 2 Hastings 1

The mighty Yeltz finished off the year with a much needed 2-1 victory against Hastings. A first half goal from Jason and a winner from Big Rich means we go into 2003 just above the relegation zone in in very tight bottom half of the table.

On New Year's Day we welcome Newport County to Fortress Grove in another game we'll be hoping for maximum points in.

I'm still off on my holidays all week so updates to the site will be a bit slower than usual I'm afraid. Have a very happy New Year, and hopefully I'll see many of you at Dover on January 4th.