I stopped keeping this site up-to-date many years ago, so if you've ended up here I'm afraid there's nothing much of interest to see any more.

Other Halesowen Town websites:

21st Century Stuff

I made a Yeltzland app for iPhone/iPad and Android, which lets you read all about the Yeltz in one place.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play

You can also add the Yeltz fixture list into your calendar - instructions can be found here.

News Stories 1997-2006 ...

Follow Your Instinct

Even older than the original Yeltzland website, we wrote a HTFC fanzine between 1991 and 1994.

I've started scanning in the originals, and you can download the PDFs from the FYI home page.

Review of the 1995-96 season

Re-live one of the greatest seasons of the mighty Yeltz's long history in DJ's comprehensive review

Why are we called The Yeltz?

No one knows for sure, but here's an summary from the excellent Yeltzmen book that's the best explanation we have!




Team Bath 1 Yeltz 2

The mighty Yeltz came away from a depressing Team Bath ground with a hard fought but well deserved victory. We were always in control and took the lead through an excellent move finished off through Jason. They equalised from a penalty, but then we regained the lead through Jason's second and despite some late pressure we took all three points.

Full details in Dave's match report , and I'll maybe write about the view from the grassy knoll when I've received security clearance.

On Tuesday we travel to Evesham in the Worcester Senior Cup, before hosting Clevedon next Saturday back at The Grove.

Match Report from DJ

Team Bath: Hines; D. Smith, Watson, Nichols (Canham 71), Ball, Tilson, Gillingham (Maye 85), Saunders, Paul Tisdale, Reeves (Lewis 61), Prince. Unused Subs: Peter Tisdale, Parkin

Halesowen Town: Lowe; Skidmore, Charlton, Grocutt (N. Smith 70), Jones, Baker, Hollis, Ashby, Spencer, Steane, Reece. Unused Subs: Colwell, Small, Sheils

Referee: M. Halford (Bristol) Attendance: 101 (Inside Ground) 4 (Outside Ground) Booked: Jones (90)

Jason Ashby may have been Halesowen's only recognised forward available but the star striker hit two more goals to boost Halesowen's drive up the table.

Team Bath were looking for revenge for their FA Trophy exit earlier in the season but it was Halesowen who were first on the attack with a Simon Hollis free-kick being cleared by goalkeeper Ali Hines in the 8th minute. At the other end, Matt Lowe punched clear a Luke Price corner in the 13th minute and after 16 minutes Ashby almost latched onto another Hollis free-kick. Dean Smith then flashed a shot across the Halesowen goal before the visitors gained the upper hand.

ASHBY gave Halesowen a 24th minute lead by converting Ben Steane's right-wing cross from 8 yards out. Hines then made a one-handed reflex save to deny makeshift centre-forward Andy Spencer who latched onto Asa Charlton's deep cross in the 36th minute and Ashby headed the resulting corner by the returning Dominic Reece over the bar.

Yet, as in the previous week, Halesowen could not hold onto their lead until the interval and in the 44th minute Kevin WILSON equalised from the penalty spot after Stuart Skidmore handled a cross from the right in the penalty area.

But the setback spurred Halesowen onto making a lively start to the second-half with Spencer turning to thump a 20-yard drive against the Bath post with Hines beaten in the 50th minute. Charlton then drove a long free-kick into the area in the 56th minute and Ashby's flick brought a fine save from Hines. With the ball breaking free and Team Bath unable to clear, ASHBY then hit the Bath post but picked up the rebound and side-stepped his marker to plant home his 22nd goal of the season from close range.

The Yeltz almost increased their lead a minute later but Hines kept out a header from the hard-working Hollis and on 75 minutes good work from Lewis Baker put Spencer clear but he fired wide of the advancing Hines. Halesowen then had their own escape when Paul Tisdale cracked a 77th minute free-kick from the edge of the area against the underside of the cross-bar with Lowe beaten.

Halesowen could have wrapped up the game again in the 89th minute but Spencer's shot was blocked and Baker blazed over the bar after Ashby beat the Team Bath goalkeeper and then Hollis lobbed high when a better option was to roll the ball across goal to Ashby.

A series of second-half injuries lead to 8 minutes of stoppage time and in the 97th minute Halesowen needlessly conceded two more free-kicks on the edge of their area but the defence cleared to register an important three points.




FAT Yeltz 1 Hayes 3

The mighty Yeltz once again failed to make much progress in the FA Trophy, losing 3-1 to Ryman Premier contenders Hayes .

We took the lead early on through an excellent Hollis goal, but then were rocked just before half-time when we game a penalty and equaliser away, followed by Skidder getting sent off for a second yellow card. After the break they scored two quick goals and it was all over. More details in the match reports , although there's a report on the Hayes site .

Saturday takes us back to the delightful Team Bath - which promises to be a fantastic day out.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Lowe; Skidmore, Charlton, Grocutt, Jones, Baker, Hollis, Ashby (Hallam 68), Mitchell, Steane (Small 68), Spencer. Unused Subs: Colwell, Smith, Sheils

Hayes: Cole; Cleary, Molesley, Bixby, Yeboah, Paul Holsgrove, L. Holsgrove, Williams, D. Warner, Scott (Peter Holsgrove 76), K. Warner. Unused Subs: Case, Cooper, Goodall

Referee: A. J. Newell (Yate) Attendance: 458 Booked: Steane (40), Skidmore (42) Sent Off: Skidmore (44) Sponsors' Man of the Match: Darren Grocutt

Halesowen made a fine start but wilted to their first home defeat of the season after being reduced to ten men against their Ryman League visitors.

In the first ever meeting between the teams, Halesowen goalkeeper Matt Lowe kept out Joshua Scott's deflected 3rd minute shot but it was Halesowen who made a golden start by taking a 6th minute lead. Ben Steane played a delightful pass from midfield to Simon HOLLIS on the right and he finished well from 12 yards out. Leon Mitchell then broke free of his marker in the 9th minute but headed weakly at goalkeeper Jake Cole.

Lowe produced an impressive sequence of saves to preserve Halesowen's lead and turned Mark Molesley's 11th minute shot away for a corner. Hollis volleyed wide for the home side on 18 minutes after Lewis Baker won the ball in midfield before Lowe made another fine reflex save with his foot to deny David Warner from a couple of yards out in the 19th minute. Lowe then tipped Kevin Warner's 22-yard free-kick around the post on the half-hour.

Halesowen hopes of pulling off a cup shock were dashed in a nine-minute spell before half-time. Joshua SCOTT equalised for Hayes from the penalty spot after the ball struck the hand of Asa Charlton in the six-yard box in the 36th minute. Halesowen then lost their discipline in a series of skirmishes and Stuart Skidmore was shown the red card in the 44th minute for his second bookable offence after being booked only two minutes earlier in his 100th game for the Yeltz. Molesley's 20-yard freekick struck the Halesowen post seconds before the interval as Hayes gained the upper hand.

The visitors proved too strong for ten-man Halesowen in the second half and strolled to victory with two further goals. LEE HOLSGROVE gave Hayes the lead three minutes after the break by firing into the corner of Lowe's net from 20-yards. With the Yeltz dropping back, Dwayne Williams hit just past the post after 57 minutes. The home defence were then far too slow to react to Kevin Warner's quickly taken free-kick on the hour allowing DAVID WARNER to touch home in an unmarked position from close range.

Halesowen found it difficult to create chances in a matter-of-fact second half although Cole palmed away from Mitchell in the 62nd minute. In the dying minutes Lowe blocked well from David Warner and then saved from Molesley.



News Story

BSC Yeltz 2 Banbury 1

The mighty Yeltz just about struggled through to the next round of the Birmingham Senior Cup, with a last minute penalty winner from Jason clinching the victory in what sounds like a poor game. More in DJ's match report .

On Saturday, Ryman Premier challengers Hayes visit The Grove in the FA Trophy. They're doing pretty well at the moment - but let's hope they're not particularly bright, or indeed golden. We've been a pretty good cup team over the last year or so, so let's hope we can get something out of the game.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Sheils; Jones (Colwell 70), Small, Smith, Charlton, Skidmore, Hollis, Hallam, Mitchell (Ashby HT), Steane (Baker HT), Spencer. Unused Subs: Grocutt, Lowe

Banbury United: Tricker; Spriggs, Blossom, Sullivan, Allen, Eldridge, Stanbridge, O'Neill (Taylor 73), Simms, Redknap, Potter. Unused Subs: Stidder, Breslin, Brock

Referee: A. J. Horton (Coseley) Attendance: 172 Booked: Potter (71)

Halesowen struggled into the next round with a last minute winner from the penalty spot against Dr Martens Eastern Division Banbury.

In a dull first-half, Jason Allen's 4th minute header was saved on the line by home goalkeeper Mark Sheils and George Redknap's 11th minute cross from the right was turned behind by Andy Spencer for the first of two Banbury corners.

The Puritans took a 12th minute lead in sloppy fashion when Sheils failed to clear a right-wing corner and Wayne BLOSSOM headed home from 5 yards against a static defence.

Andy Spencer toe-poked wide on 18 minutes and after Halesowen's first corner on 23 minutes Mark Hallam started and ended a 23rd minute move but headed Bryan Small's cross just wide. The Yeltz ended a poor half with Spencer's 37th minute snapshot turned for a corner and goalkeeper Simon Tricker collected another Spencer drive three minutes before the break.

Manager Brendan Phillips rang the half-time changes but it was Chris Potter who struck just wide for the visitors on 52 minutes. Hallam set up Lewis Baker on the hour but Tricker easily saved before the Yeltz finally clicked into gear. On 62 minutes Banbury's defence cleared a Simon Hollis free-kick after Tricker lost the ball under pressure from captain-for-the-evening Asa Charlton and a Dan Jones thunderbolt was blocked for a corner three minutes later. Hollis then hit a 25-yard free-kick just over the bar.

Banbury should have sealed the game on 71 minutes when Mark Simm's header fell to George Redknap but he crashed the ball against the underside of the bar and the hosts escaped to equalise a minute later with HALLAM heading home Charlton's free-kick from close range.

Jason Ashby and Hallam both raced into the box in the 76th minute but just failed to meet a Hollis cross and a minute later Spencer fired just wide. Hallam then headed a Richard Colwell cross just wide and Sheils saved a Scott Taylor shot low down in the 82nd minute at the other end.

With extra-time looming, Hallam was bundled over in the box in the 89th minute and ASHBY hit home his 20th goal of the campaign from the penalty spot.




Ilkeston 0 Yeltz 0

Another two points were dropped, as Halesowen could only draw 0-0 against out-of-form Ilkeston. As ever, full details in DJ's match report .

We've now got a free weekend with Atherstone sadly no longer with us, so our next game is at home to Banbury next Tuesday in the B'ham Senior Cup.

Match Report from DJ

Ilkeston Town: Horrigan; Stephens, Jervis, Brown, Holyoak, Lyons, Thompson (Stant HT), Burns, Freestone (Hurrell 80), O'Connor, Lewis. Unused Subs: Atkinson, Laws, Hatton

Halesowen Town: Sheils; Colwell, Charlton, Grocutt, Jones, Baker, Hollis, Ashby, Mitchell (Hallam 75), Steane, Skidmore. Unused Subs: Smith, Small, Kavanagh, Lowe

Referee: G. C. Law (Leicester) Attendance: 337 Booked: None

Last season's relegated teams battled out a goal-less draw in an evenly matched contest although Ben Steane missed a golden chance to seal a Yeltz victory with just three minutes remaining.

Home goalkeeper Darren Horrigan raced off his line in the 5th minute to deny Simon Hollis from Jason Ashby's cross and in the 9th minute Ilkeston's Aaron O'Connor drove wide from 20-yards. Hollis's 10th minute cross was then turned away for a corner with the home defence under pressure from Leon Mitchell after Ashby chased a long ball. The home side won two corners in the 32nd minute and O'Connor hit over a dangerous cross in the 42nd minute but Halesowen just edged the first-half with two further telling crosses from Hollis flashing across the Ilkeston goal-mouth.

The Yeltz weathered a spell of Ilkeston pressure at the start of the second period and in the 51st minute Richard Colwell made an important goal-line clearance to keep the scores level. A minute later substitute Phil Stant flashed a header across goal from a John Burns corner. For the visitors Hollis hit wide from 20-yards on 53 minutes and Halesowen then forced four consecutive corners in the 63rd minute but could not find the killer touch.

Chris Freestone headed a 67th minute cross just wide and Michael Lyons curled just wide from 20-yards ten minutes later for Ilkeston. Lyons then hit a right-wing cross inches over Mark Sheil's bar in the 85th minute with Ilkeston searching desperately for their first win in their last ten outings.

Steane volleyed a Hollis cross over the bar with five minutes left before his glaring miss in front of the Ilkeston goal in the 87th minute when he hit tamely at Horrigan after being set-up by Ashby with an empty net and three valuable points at his mercy.




Yeltz 1 Shepshed 1

In a disappointing display at the Grove, the mighty Yeltz could only manage to get one point against bottom of the table Shepshed.

They weren't very good at all - not surprisingly seeing as they haven't a single win this season - but after we took the lead through a scrappy Lewis Baker flick we seemed to assume it was all over, and showed no urgency at all to score again. The inevitable happened when they scored in the second half, and although we roused ourselves at the end it was very frustrating only to get a draw.

We're away at Ilkeston on Tuesday in the League. they're on a very poor run, so let's hope we can come away with all three points this time.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Lowe (Sheils 49); Colwell (Hallam 83), Charlton, Grocutt, Jones, Baker, Hollis, Ashby, Mitchell, Steane, Spencer. Unused Subs: Smith, Skidmore, Small.

Shepshed Dynamo: Harland; Stevens (O'Brien 30), Prindiville, Williams, Savage, Quincey, Dorrian, Weafer (Smithen 66), Heskey, Mackay, Forsdick. Unused Subs: Hook, Keeling.

Referee: N. Day (Stoke-on-Trent) : 440 : Mackay (19) Attendance Booked

Sponsors' Man of the Match: Lewis Baker

Halesowen threw away two valuable home points by allowing rock-bottom Shepshed back into the game to earn a draw.

In a lively Yeltz opening, Leon Mitchell curled wide from 20 yards in the 2 minute and Simon Hollis cut in from the left to unleash a 20-yard shot which fell just wide on 10 minutes. Mitchell then beat his defender but planted the ball high over the bar in the 15 minute and goalkeeper Andy Harland collected Ben Steane's shot a minute later. nd th

With Shepshed packing their defence, Mitchell put past the post in the 26 minute when clear on goal and Harland beat away Asa Charlton's 29 minute free-kick. Jason Ashby then latched onto a long ball and rounded Harland only to see his 33 minute shot cleared off the line. th th rd

Halesowen finally took the lead in the 34 minute with Lewis BAKER turning home Andy Spencer's shot from close range with a crafty back-heel. Harland then produced a flying save in the 38 minute to keep out Ashby's header from a Hollis cross with Halesowen looking on course for a comfortable win. th th

Home goalkeeper Matt Lowe was finally brought into action in the 39 minute to keep out Jason Weafer's free-kick and at the other end Charlton made a fine 42 minute run down the left wing but fellow full-back Richard Colwell put the cross over the bar. th nd

Despite being without a league win this season, hard-working Shepshed came out to produce a gutsy second-half performance and fully deserved their share of the points.

The lack-lustre home side suffered a blow in the 49 minute when goalkeeper Lowe was stretchered off with a jaw injury following a collision with Simon Forsdick. After the re-start Baker made a crucial interception to deny Jason Weafer in the penalty area and Halesowen's replacement goalkeeper Mark Sheils kept out a dipping 20-yard strike from Damien Heskey. th

Ashby was first to meet a long clearance from Sheils on the hour but flicked the ball just wide and then chipped just wide on 68 minutes. Mitchell scuffed the ball from a good position in the 71 minute before Shepshed levelled in the 76 minute with FORSDICK firmly heading home a left wing cross. st th

Spencer blasted a loose ball over the bar from 20-yards in the 84 minute and Halesowen almost grabbed a 90 minute winner when a curling shot from Hollis beat Harland but rebounded off the far post. th th




DMC Bromsgrove 2 Yeltz 1

Aftre last year's run to the Final, the mighty Yeltz lost 2-1 in their League Cup First Round tie at Bromsgrove. We took the lead through Leon in the first half, but they equalised soon after and then got the winner in the second half. One more distraction out of the way ;-)

We've got bottom of the table Shepshed at The Grove on Saturday, so let's hope we can continue our good form in the League and gain another three points.

Match Report from DJ

Bromsgrove Rovers: Wyatt; Frost, Hillman, Pope (Hill 54), Mahon, Dyson, Dawson, Scheppel, Szewczyk, Banner, Swan (Langford 82). Unused Subs: Gandy, Ruck, Atkinson

Halesowen Town: Sheils; Colwell, Small, Jones (Steane 60), Smith, Skidmore, Hollis, Hallam, Mitchell (Willetts 60), Spencer, Kavanagh. Unused Subs: Grocutt, Baker, Charlton

Referee: A. Williams (Hereford) Attendance: 288 Booked: None

Last season's runners-up Halesowen fell at the first hurdle despite taking an early lead.

Simon Hollis's 12th minute right-wing corner just evaded Richard Kavanagh before debutant Halesowen goalkeeper Mark Sheils did well to turn Kevin Banner's 20-yard free-kick around the post for a corner. Kavanagh then connected with a 16th minute Hollis cross but Steve Frost cleared off the line.

The Yeltz went ahead on 21 minutes when Hollis broke from midfield and laid the ball off for Leon MITCHELL to fire home under goalkeeper Paul Wyatt from 10-yards.

Bromsgrove levelled four minutes later with Paul SZEWCZYK volleying home a looping deflection from six yards against a static defence. Mark Hallam's 27th minute volley was saved by Wyatt but Bromsgrove then missed a 34th minute penalty with Steve Pope crashing against the bar and Andy Spencer clearing the rebound off the line after Michael Swan was brought down.

The home side notched a 51st minute winner when SZEWCZYK was allowed to turn in the six-yard box from Chris Dawson's cross. Halesowen's Hallam drove wide on 77 minutes and Wyatt collected Hollis's 20-yard shot at the second attempt on 83 minutes. In the dying moments, Hollis cut in from the right but hit past the post and Kavanagh struck over the bar. At the other end Bromsgrove#s Banner was left free in injury time but also hit high over the bar.




Yeltz 6 Bedworth 3

In an exciting game at The Grove, the mighty Yeltz came out 6-3 winners against struggling Bedworth, although we left it late to clinch the three points. Hat-tricks from Jason Ashby and Leon Mitchell meant we've climbed to 5th in the table , but it was 3-3 until the 84th minute so it wasn't as easy as it sounds. Full details as usual in Dave's match report.

On Tuesday we're finally getting to play the League Cup First Round tie at Bromsgrove, before bottom-placed Shepshed visit The Grove on Saturday.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Lowe; Colwell, Charlton, Grocutt, Jones, Baker, Hollis, Ashby, Mitchell, Steane, Spencer (Skidmore 71). Unused Subs: N. Smith, Hallam, Kavanagh, Small

Bedworth United: Hateley; Blair, Crowley, Hollywood, Richardson, Hood (Massingham HT), Lanns, K. Smith, Cammock, Charley, Stevenson (Hadland HT). Unused Subs: Guiney, White, Lower

Referee: W. Barratt (Cradley) Attendance: 432 Booked: Lanns (76)

Jason Ashby and Leon Mitchell both completed late hat-tricks at the goals-galore Grove in a game Halesowen controlled but almost threw away.

Halesowen poured forward from the start and the writing was on the wall for Bedworth in the 3rd minute when James Richardson headed a dangerous cross from Richard Colwell behind his own goal for a corner. Lewis Baker headed just wide and Ben Steane shot weakly at former Yeltz goalkeeper Gary Hateley in the 5th minute. Andy Spencer was put clear by Simon Hollis in the 15th minute but could only flick the ball into the arms of Hateley and a 19th minute header from Darren Grocutt fell onto the top of the Bedworth net.

The opening Halesowen goal finally arrived in the 35th minute with MITCHELL heading home a Hollis cross after Ashby held up the ball near the goal-line. Two minutes later ASHBY increased the lead by turning home Spencer's cross off the inside of the post.

With more goals looking imminent Hollis hit a spectacular 39th minute volley at Hateley from Mitchell's cross and Baker headed a Steane corner high. On the stroke of half-time Spencer's 20-yard shot drifted wide and Mitchell hit a great chance high over the bar and down the Stourbridge Road from just 8 yards out.

The in-form Hateley produced a fine reflex save to deny Ashby from five yards immediately after the re-start as it seemed the floodgates were about to open. But Bedworth pulled a goal back two minutes after the break when Kevin CHARLEY burst through the Halesowen defence to fire past Matt Lowe from 18 yards in their first real attempt on goal.

ASHBY restored the two-goal advantage three minutes later from the penalty spot after Ben Steane was tugged back in the area. Mitchell then saw his stunning 20-yard shot tipped over for a corner by the busy Hateley in the 54th minute.

The plucky visitors mounted another unlikely comeback to equalise with two further goals in four minutes. Martin Crowley's 58th minute free-kick was turned away by Lowe and Kirk Smith hit the loose ball against the bar leaving CHARLEY to slot home into the empty net. The Yeltz defence was caught napping again when substitute Darren MASSINGHAM headed home through a crowd of players directly from a right wing corner in the 62nd minute.

Just when a draw seemed on the cards Halesowen's potent attack produced three late goals. Hateley rushed out of his area in the 84th minute but was beaten to the ball by the pacy MITCHELL who side-stepped the goalkeeper before curling a superb 20-yard shot into the unprotected net. MITCHELL completed a fine hat-trick in the 88th minute by latching onto a long ball from Hollis before crashing past Hateley. ASHBY completed the party to notch his own hat-trick and 19th goal of the season in the final minute when a deft back-heel from Steane put him clear to stroke home with the Bedworth defence in tatters.




FAT Yeltz 3 Team Bath 2

The mighty Yeltz are through to meet Hayes in the FA Trophy, after coming back from two down to beat Team Bath 3-2. After the experience of the weekend, I think it's a game that everyone really wanted to win, as well as wanting a decent run in the Trophy. Full details in DJ's match report .

On Saturday, Bedworth are the visitors to The Grove in a league game that we'll be looking for maximum points from.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Lowe; Small (Kavanagh 78), Charlton, Grocutt, Jones, Baker, Hollis (Skidmore 61), Ashby, Hallam (Mitchell 61), Steane, Spencer. Unused Subs: Smith, Sheils

Team Bath: Gibson; Otto, Watson, Nichols, Holland, Metitiri, Gillingham, Canham (Lock HT), Stocco, Blake (Lewis 61), Prince (Reeves 86). Unused Subs: Tisdale, Parkin

Referee: I. Hamilton (Cheltenham) Attendance: 245

Halesowen fought back to progress into the next round against Hayes after falling two goals behind at half-time in a pulsating replay.

The home side made a smart start and charged towards the Bath goal in the opening minutes. Ben Steane's 2nd minute lob was caught by Chris Gibson to earn an early corner. Mark Hallam swept the ball just over the bar in the 13th minute after Andy Spencer robbed Ali Otto on the left and Hallam's header struck the post on 20 minutes with goalkeeper Chris Gibson beaten from a deep Simon Hollis cross. Jason Ashby and Bryan Small fired high with Gibson in all sorts of trouble when he sliced the ball on 22 minutes and a Hollis screamer fell just wide a minute later. Steane then made a fine run from midfield only to see his 24th minute lob hit the crossbar.

But Bath took the lead against all the odds on 26 minutes with their first attempt when goalkeeper Matt Lowe punched away a Mike Gillingham cross under pressure from Tom Stocco and the ball fell for David BLAKE to side-step his marker and hit home from 15-yards. Marc Canham caned the Halesowen crossbar three minutes later before Team Bath added a clinical second goal in the 32nd minute when Blake crossed from the right for the unmarked CANHAM to rifle home from 18 yards. Halesowen forced three consecutive corners in the 40th minute but Ashby fired wide from 6 yards with Gibson flapping at the ball.

The Yeltz gave themselves a 50th minute lifeline when Hallam headed on a Hollis cross for Andy SPENCER to volley home his first goal of the season from close range. The game then went into a quiet spell until Luke Prince broke from midfield in the 66th minute but was denied by Lowe turning a goal-bound shot away for a corner. A minute later the visitors failed to make the game safe when centre-half Dan Jones gave away the ball to substitute Chris Lewis but Lowe produced another superb blocking save.

Ashby lobbed over the bar for the Yeltz on 73 minutes before substitute Leon MITCHELL turned to fire home Halesowen's equaliser in the 79th minute from 10 yards after latching onto Darren Grocutt's cross. In a strong finish, Mitchell then played a sweet ball through to Ashby but the leading marksman hit weakly at Gibson.

STEANE crowned a fine game to seal victory in the 85th minute with a cool 15-yard finish to notching his first goal for the club after Mitchell just failed to beat Gibson from close range. On 90 minutes Stocco lobbed just wide for the visitors and in injury time Halesowen's Spencer crossed for the unmarked Mitchell but he failed to beat Gibson.




FAT Team Bath 0 Yeltz 0

The mighty Yeltz remain in the FA Trophy after a 0-0 draw against the "students" of Team Bath. Unfortunately I wasn't at the game, but from what Chris has to say on the Bath City forum it doesn't sound as though it was the best away trip we've ever had. I'd be very interested in the views of anyone else who was there, and particularly if anyone from Team Bath would like to give us the benefit of their educated views. YeltzTalk is waiting.

The replay is on Tuesday, so let's hope we can get through and start on a decent run in the Trophy for once. It's the first of a run of three home games, including the visit of Bedworth next Saturday.

Match Report from DJ

Team Bath: Gibson; Otto, Wisson, Lock, Holland, Tilson, Gillingham (Nicholls 84), Canham (Tisdale 65), Stocco (Dembicki 72), Lewis, Prince. Unused Subs: Watson, Parkin.

Halesowen Town: Lowe; Colwell, Charlton, Grocutt, Jones, Baker, Hollis (Steane 58), Ashby, Hallam (Mitchell 69), Spencer, Kavanagh (Small 58). Unused Subs: Skidmore, Sheils

Referee: I. Hamilton (Cheltenham) Attendance: 140 Booked: Charlton (77)

Halesowen forced a Tuesday replay with their third consecutive clean sheet in a dreary contest that provided little entertainment to enthuse the sparse crowd.

But the major talking point amongst Halesowen followers was how the lavishly public-funded Team Bath project denied them even the most basic of facilities that are now customary at far lower levels of football. The situation is likely to be taken up by the Halesowen Town Supporters Association making its opinion known by letters of complaint to the relevant parties.

On the pitch, the almost artificial University of Bath campus setting with the pitch surrounded by an athletics track produced an instantly forgettable game. Andy Spencer won Halesowen's first corner in the 5th minute but Richard Kavanagh's kick was easily cleared. Dan Jones then tidied up in the Yeltz defence on 8 minutes when Chris Lewis beat the offside trap. Bath's first corner on 10 minutes from Luke Prince came to nothing before Tom Stocco again beat the offside trap but fired wide from 15 yards out. Goalkeeper Matt Lowe then collected a 20-yard Mike Gillingham shot and caught Andy Tilson's effort from a Prince free-kick in the 14th minute.

Home goalkeeper Chris Gibson raced off his line to clear from leading marksman Jason Ashby on 19 minutes and then produced a fingertip stop to turn away Andy Spencer's 15-yard drive after 27 minutes. Opposite number Lowe then did well to take Gillingham's 36th minute corner under pressure in a crowded goal area.

The second-half misery continued with neither side looking likely to break the stalemate although Lowe saved low down on 53 minutes when Gillingham cut in from the right. Simon Hollis then forced a 57th minute save from Gibson and Lowe had to alert at the other end in the 70th minute to keep out an attempted lob from Prince. Ali Otto then shot over the bar from 10-yards in the 73rd minute and Lewis headed a 73rd minute corner from Paul Tisdale over the bar. In the dying seconds, Halesowen substitute Leon Mitchell saw his 20-yard shot easily saved by Gibson.




Solihull 0 Yeltz 1

The mighty Yeltz continued their rise up the table with an excellent 1-0 victory over Solihull Borough. A second-half goal from the league's top scorer Jason Ashby brought us an important three points and moved us up to 6th in the table and still with games in hand over most of the teams above us. More details in DJ's match report.

Because of their FA Cup replay Tuesday's League Cup tie at Bromsgrove is postponed , so our next game is on Saturday when we travel to play Team Bath in the FA Trophy.

Match Report from DJ

Solihull Borough: Gayle; Hamilton, Hier (Hawker 72), Preston, Barry, A. Cooper, Campbell, I. Cooper, Hunter, Arshad (Amos 66), Lutz (Hewitt 78). Unused Sub: Dodd

Halesowen Town: Lowe; Colwell, Charlton, Grocutt, Jones, Baker, Hollis, Ashby, Holmes, Spencer, Kavanagh. Unused Subs: Hallam, Steane, Smith, Mitchell, Small

Referee: R. J. Steans (Loughborough) Attendance: 326 Booked: I. Cooper (15)

Jason Ashby secured three points by notching his 16th goal of the season with a stunning second half strike after missing an earlier penalty.

Halesowen goalkeeper Matt Lowe was barely troubled all afternoon as the Yeltz took charge and they should have won by a greater margin as Solihull failed to live up to expectations.

In a quiet opening, David Holmes lobbed over the Solihull bar in the 7th minute and then turned to win Halesowen's first corner after 13 minutes. Darren Grocutt headed a Simon Hollis free-kick tamely at goalkeeper Mark Gayle on 20 minutes and with the visitors comfortably on-top Andy Spencer cut in from the right for Gayle to save low down two minutes later. Spencer then flicked a 25th minute header just wide from Richard Kavanagh's 25th minute cross.

Dan Jones gifted Solihull their best and only meaningful chance of the game when he failed to notice Adam Cooper behind him and left a 27th minute cross but Lowe raced off his line with the ball being cleared in the resulting goal-mouth scramble.

Pete Barry brought down ex-Solihull midfielder Hollis from behind in the 33rd minute to give Halesowen a penalty but ex-Halesowen goalkeeper Gayle used his knowledge from his former club to read Ashby's usual routine and dived to his left to push away the spot-kick.

The visitors continued to dominate the second half with Kavanagh volleying a 57th minute Hollis cross over the bar. Paul Hunter put Jamie Campbell through on the hour for the home side but Lowe was on hand to save.

Halesowen sealed the game in the 64th minute with a goal of pure class from ASHBY who picked up a pass from Jones and turned a full circle before curling into the top corner from 15 yards for a worthy "goal of the season" candidate

Hollis then brought a flying save out of Gayle with a fierce half-volley from the right after 73 minutes. At the other end, Halesowen were never seriously threatened further although Adam Cooper glanced a free-header straight at Lowe in the dying seconds.